Call for 2022 TCI Rising Star Award nominations
The TCI Rising Star Award is given for high-impact technical contributions to the Internet research community (as defined by the TCI scope) to an individual in the first 10 years of his or her career. The award will be announced and presented to the awardee during the ACM/IEEE Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC), which is planned to take place in Seattle WA, December 2022.
Examples of contributions and supporting evidence include but are not limited to the following:
- High-impact technical publications in conferences and journals relevant to TCI’s scope, such as SEC, NSDI, SIGCOMM, IEEE Internet Computing, ACM Transactions on Internet Technologies, and others, particularly those recognized with best paper awards. (Include number of citations.)
- Software or other research assets that are widely available and widely used (include the number of downloads and citations to the asset).
- Recognition by peers and others including (for example) awards; leadership responsibilities; service on technical program committees, editorial boards, etc.; influence on standards or other commercial activity; and competitive funding success.
Eligibility: Nominees must be active researchers in academia or industry, whose last academic degree was conferred less than 10 years ago (as of the nomination deadline).
The nomination package must include:
- The current CV of the nominee;
- A nominating letter (limited to 500 words) highlighting the nominee’s technical contributions; and
- A support letter from another individual (not the nominee or the nominator) of no more than 250 words.
Nominators and supporters from institutions other than the nominee’s will be given greater weight in the selection process. Self-nominations are not accepted.
Nominations must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2022 (anywhere on Earth).
The nomination committee for 2022 is:
Azer Bestavros (Boston University)
Brian Blake (Georgia State University)
Fred Douglis, Chair (Peraton Labs)
The final awardee selection will be made by the evaluation committee consisting of:
Schahram Dustdar, Chair (Vienna University of Technology)
George Pallis (University of Cyprus)
Omer Rana (Cardiff University)
The committees reserve the right to seek external opinions during the processing of candidates applications.
Dr. Blesson Varghese, Senior Lecturer at Queen’s University Belfast, is the recipient of the 2021 TCI Rising Star Award. Dr. Varghese’s research interests are in addressing system-oriented challenges in edge/fog and cloud computing systems and developing use cases that can benefit from the edge/fog computing paradigm.
Dr. Roland M. van Rijswijk-Deij, Principal Scientist at NLnet Labs and Associate Professor at University of Twente, is the recipient of the 2020 TCI Rising Star Award.