2020 TCI Rising Star Award
The IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on the Internet (TCI) has named Dr. Roland M. van Rijswijk-Deij, Principal Scientist at NLnet Labs and Associate Professor at University of Twente, as the recipient of the 2020 TCI Rising Star Award.
Call for Nominations
Call for 2021 TCI Rising Star Award nominations is forthcoming.
The TCI Rising Star Award is given for high-impact technical contributions to the Internet research community (as defined by the TCI scope) to an individual in the first 10 years of his or her career. The award will be announced and presented to the awardee during the ACM/IEEE Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC), which is planned to take place in San Jose CA, November 11-13, 2020.
Examples of contributions and supporting evidence include but are not limited to the following:
- High-impact technical publications in conferences and journals relevant to TCI’s scope, such as SEC, NSDI, SIGCOMM, IEEE Internet Computing, ACM Transactions on Internet Technologies, and others, particularly those recognized with best paper (Include number of citations.)
- Software or other research assets that are widely available and widely used (include the number of downloads and citations to the asset).
- Recognition by peers and others including (for example) awards; leadership responsibilities; service on technical program committees, editorial boards, etc.; influence on standards or other commercial activity; and competitive funding success.
Eligibility: Nominees must be active researchers in academia or industry, whose last academic degree was conferred less than 10 years ago (as of the nomination deadline).
The nomination package must include:
- The current CV of the nominee;
- A nominating letter (limited to 500 words) highlighting the nominee’s technical contributions; and
- A support letter from another individual (not the nominee or the nominator) of no more than 250 words.
Nominators and supporters from institutions other than the nominee’s will be given greater weight in the selection process. Self-nominations are not accepted.
Nominations must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1, 2020 (anywhere on Earth).
The award selection committee members for 2020 is:
Ken Calvert (Univ. of Kentucky)
Fred Douglis, chair (Perspecta Labs)
Arun Iyengar (IBM Research)
Bruce Maggs (Duke University & Emerald Innovations)
Michael Rabinovich (Case Western Reserve Univ.)
The committee reserves the right to seek external opinions during the evaluation of nominated candidates.